Thursday, January 23, 2014

Website of the Month - How-To-Geek!!!

In my quest to learn as much as possible about technology, computers, OS, GNU / Linux, FOSS, HOSS (hardware + open source software), and the entire OSM, I am constantly scouring the Internet for information.  The process leads me to different websites, blogs, forums, and documentations of various topics. At times this process is daunting because not all how-to(s) are good information, better yet plenty of information on the web is suspect!  However, I have ran across some really great sites and communities on the Internet and I decided to feature a Website of the Month!!!
The beauty of learning about GNU / Linux and other open source projects, there's a plethora of written and video tutorials available at the click of a button.  The problem is that many of these items are out of date due to the rapid development of technology.  This is not just an OSM problem, during my days of Windows® usage, hardware manuals, hardware diagrams, and plenty of informations about different products (hardware and software) were out date due to rapid development evolution.  Now, from my personal experience I have learned that in many instances using more than one source and deductive reasoning to help solve most computer implementation problems.  Sometimes though, you come across a website that is very much on point with their explanations, tutorials, and how-to(s).
During my technical Googling, How-To-Geek (HTG) was a recurring relevant search result.  More times than none the information discussed at this site would directly solve whatever issue or implementation I was attempting.  They cover a vast amount of Linux related topics, plus Windows, Mobile, Hardware, Office and etc. are featured under their Articles menu. Their How-To(s) are pretty in-dept with step by step illustrated examples.  The video below will give you a good overview of the HTG's website and I encourage you to use them as learning tool for technology.
Moreover, as I mentioned in an earlier post about how I was installing the pfSense firewall system to enable PXE booting on my home network.  I use AT&T Uverse as my Internet provider, the Gateway, Router, Wifi, and Switch device is great until you want to incorporate advance networking features in your home network.  Well, the solution is to separate your network form AT&T's equipment and just use them for a Gateway.  Now, DHCP, TFTP, PXE, and even DNS can be installed and configured behind their equipment with a better non-limited implementation.  Yes, their equipment supported most of the above mentioned network features but it was not possible to PXE boot throught there equipment.  Thus, with pfSense and some good explanation from HTG's website, I am now PXE booting with another open source project called FOG.  It was HTG's tutorial that introduced me to the FOG project and simplified my process for PXE booting!












Be Blessed!!!


Elbennit

0 comments :