Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Open Source Gaming (OSG)... OUYA Style!!!

Wow, for decades now video game have been a huge past time for entertainment. I started out with a game console / computer called the Texas Instrument 99/4a.  Then, I had an Atari 2600 and next, it was a Nintendo 64 until I found computer / PC gaming.  I really never looked back except to play my friend's PlayStation and and Xbox.  Once, I found Linux much of my gaming ended. Why? There simply was not much game development for Linux in the early years.  Well, that should be understandable as the community and the movement was just starting out. 

Today, it pleases me to see that the OSM has reach another frontier.  With the conception of OUYA, Julie Uhrman and her design / development team is effectively bringing console gaming to the Open Source arena.  This is a true open source platform because the hardware and software is compliant.  Now, it is not free but with such a modest price of $99.00, I do believe it is worth every penny. Moreover, now the gaming industry will be open to the masses.  How cool and powerful is that.  




Even the specs will give the best Tablets and smart devices a run for there money.  OUYA, is sporting an NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core Processor.  Go read about it because it actually 4 + 1 cores CPU / GPU combo!!! Back to OUYA, it has a 1 gigabyte of DDR3, 8 gigabytes of internal flash, HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth LE 4.0, 1 USB 2.0,  Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad, ethernet port, and of course Android 4.0.  All packed into a 75 mm (2.95 inch) cube enclosure.  Now that is space optimization at its best!

This team has created a really nice Open Source Project.  I hope that there are a ton of tweeks, mods, enhancements, hacks, and just loads of fun to come with the product and project.  Right now I know it must be over two decades since I owned my last gaming console.  Therefore, I look forward to seeing how the OUYA will compete against the big three this Christmas.  Plus,  the OUYA is really peeking my curiosity and I need a good RR open source project.
 



Be Blessed!!!

Elbennit

0 comments :